Desk Assistants/Security Monitors (DA/SMs) work at the front desks of each of our residence halls. DA/SMs are the front line of safety and security in the residence halls and complete a number of tasks. These tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Providing excellent customer service to students, parents and guests
- Checking identification of those entering the building
- Confronting and/or reporting policy violations to on-duty staff
- General office tasks (filing, answering phone calls, etc.)
We are seeking candidates who demonstrate the following qualities:
- Enrollment at SDSU with a minimum of six credit units at all times (SDSU Global Campus courses or courses taken at other universities do not count towards the six unit minimum)
- A minimum overall grade point average of 2.0 (2.5 or higher preferred)
- Good judicial standing
Team work : We seek applicants who are reliable, can work collaboratively or self-sufficiently and are consistent in following policies and procedures.
Customer service: We seek applicants who are friendly and engaging when interacting with a diverse population.
Detail oriented: We seek applicants who have a good understanding of job responsibilities, are thorough when completing tasks and use resources as appropriate.
Adaptable: We seek applicants who are eager to help, display a willingness to work late night and early morning hours and are able to adjust to changes within the work environment.
Communication: We seek applicants who can be assertive when necessary, take initiative to inform supervisors of questions or concerns and read and respond to written and verbal communications in a timely manner.
For the fall semester, the Desk Assistant/Security Monitor is paid at the rate of $14.00/hr. The rate will increase to $15/hr. for the spring semester.
Information Session: Applicants must view the 15 minute virtual information session included in the online application.
Online Application: Applicants must complete an application in eRezLife.
|Interview: Applicants must participate in the designated interview date.|
Monday, March 8, 2021: Application available via eRezLife at 12 p.m.
Sunday April 11, 2021: Application deadline at 11:59 p.m.
Thursday, April 22 - Friday, April 23, 2021; Monday, April 26 - Tuesday, April 27, 2021: 20 minute Zoom interview on one of the days listed.
Wednesday, May 5, 2021: Anticipated DA/SM notification via eRezLife.
Saturday, Aug. 14, 2021: Anticipated DA/SM Training.
You must be back at SDSU and available for training to be considered for hire. If you have signed a license agreement with the Office of Housing Administration, we will discuss early arrival arrangements when offers are made. DA/SMs will start their shifts as early as 8 a.m. on Aug. 15, 2021.
In order to start your application process, you will need to sign in to eRezLife using your SDSUid and password. Once you begin the application process, make sure to click on and review the information and instructions contained on every tab at the top of your profile to thoroughly understand what you must complete. You can access your account up until the deadline to make any edits or updates needed.
Successfully submitting the online application consists of completing the following actions within your account:
Fill out your profile and demographics information.
Answer all applicable student leader application questions (questions tab).
Answer essay questions.
You will receive an email to confirm when your application has been submitted. On the overview tab of your profile, a message stating the date and time that your application was submitted will be displayed. Until this occurs, your profile message will state "incomplete," which means action is still needed on your part. Review each tab again to ensure you have completed all action steps and have submitted your application. All email correspondences will be sent to your @sdsu email account.
- Current Desk Assistant/Security Monitors Only
Any current DA/SMs hired before Jan. 1, 2021 interested in returning for the 2021-22 academic year will need to complete the “Current Student Leader” application. Completing an application and having a positive performance review are both necessary for you to be considered for a position for the 2021-22 year. Your current supervisor will be asked to complete a feedback form.
- Previous Desk Assistant/Security Monitors OnlyIf you previously served as a student leader (prior to this current year) and had to leave due to study abroad, internships or other purposes, and are interested in rejoining our team, please email [email protected] for next steps.
- Candidates Currently in Alternate PoolIf you wish to be considered for a student leader position for the 2021-22 academic year, you will need to follow all directions for the "New Applicants" application.
If I am hired as an CA/RA for the 2021-22 academic year and want to work as a DA/SM,
do I need to complete an application?
If you are interested in working as a DA/SM regardless of whether you are hired as an AM/CA/RA, you should complete this application. If you are ONLY interested in working as a DA/SM if you are hired as an CA/RA, then you do not need to complete the application.
- When do I have to be back to school in August?The anticipated training and start date is Saturday, Aug.14, 2021. You must be available for this in-person training to be considered as a candidate. If you have signed a license agreement with the Office of Housing Administration, we will discuss early arrival arrangements when offers are made. DA/SMs will start their shifts as early as 8 a.m. on Aug. 15, 2021.
- Do I get to choose where I'm going to work?
DA/SM placement is based on multiple factors to best serve our communities such as living location, availability to work nights and weekends and number of staff required per location.
- Do I get to choose the hours I work?
You will be able to provide your availability to work at the desk based on your class schedule. It is expected that this job will be a priority after classes. The schedule will be set for the semester after the first few weeks of school.
- Am I allowed to do homework at the desk?
In order to ensure the safety and security of the buildings and best customer service, homework or other personal activities such as reading, texting, watching videos, etc. are not permitted during your work shift. No cell phones, tablets, laptops or other devices can be used during your work shift.
- What is the time commitment?
DA/SMs can select the amount of hours they would like to work per week. The minimum is 3 hrs./week and the maximum is 20 hrs./week.
- When will I find out if I've been selected?First round notifications are anticipated to go out May 5, 2021. Alternates will also be offered at that time. DA/SM positions open up throughout the year, and applications will continue to be considered.
- How do I prepare for the interview?
- Make sure you understand why you want to be a DA/SM and can communicate how you are an excellent candidate for the position.
- Consider your past experiences and current skills sets that will help you to serve well in the role.
- Talk to current DA/SMs and ask lots of questions about the role to make sure it is right for you.
- Be yourself!
- What if I am abroad and cannot attend an interview? Candidates who are abroad must apply and submit their application by the deadline of 11:59 p.m. PST on April 6, 2021. Candidates who are invited to interview should respond to [email protected] to discuss options for an interview that will work for the time difference.
For more information or questions, please contact Melissa Silverman at [email protected].