Health and Safety Inspections
Residents are responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of their own rooms, suites and apartments, including ensuite bathrooms and kitchens. Health and safety inspections are conducted monthly in the following residential communities: Cuicacalli, Granada, Huaxtepec, Montage, Piedra del Sol, South Campus Plaza, Tarastec, Toltec, University Towers, Villa Alvarado and Zapotec. Fees for re-inspection and cleaning will be assessed if areas are not up to our cleanliness, health and hygiene standards.
What to Expect From Your Staff:
Our staff have been given specific instructions on what is expected of them in conducting inspections. Below, please find information regarding the process and what you can EXPECT from the Inspection Student Assistant staff.
- Expect that inspections may be conducted as often as once each month.
- Expect that the purpose of the inspections is to help maintain a safe living environment. It is not to invade privacy.
- Expect that staff members will provide advance notification to residents by posting notices and emailing residents at least 24 hours prior to the inspections.
- Expect that staff members will announce specific days and times they will be conducting inspections. Residents are highly encouraged to be present, but presence is NOT mandatory for the inspection to be completed by staff.
- Expect that the inspection should take no more than 5-10 minutes per apartment/suite/room.
- Expect that the inspection will be conducted whether residents are present or not.
- Expect that there will always be a minimum of two (2) staff members entering your room/suite/apartment to conduct the inspection.
- Expect that as staff members begin inspection, they will knock on your room/suite/apartment door. If there is no answer, they will try again. If there continues to be no response, the staff members will announce themselves and key into your room/suite/apartment in order to complete the inspection.
- Expect that once inside your room/suite/apartment, staff members will look at the listed items on the inspection form (please view the Inspection Form if you are interested in seeing what they will be looking for) and for any other policy violations.
- Expect that as staff members are conducting the inspection, they are completing a plain view inspection with the exception of emergency and facility equipment/appliances that may be located behind closed doors. Staff members will be looking under or around furniture to inspect extension cords, multi-plug outlets, etc.
- Expect that if you are present at the time of the inspection, staff will ask you if there are any facilities issues. Also, expect that you will be asked to submit service requests via the Housing Portal.
- Expect that staff will be taking down specific notes on your room/suite/apartment in order to make sure that you pass the inspection.
- Expect that you will receive notice via email when inspections are complete and your results are available on the Housing Portal.
- Expect that if there ARE violations that require improvement and re-inspection:
- You will be informed when a follow up inspection will be scheduled.
- You will be billed $25.00 for the follow up inspection.
- If your room/suite/apartment is found to be in violation of the cleanliness health and hygiene policy a second time, the university will take action to rectify the violation by cleaning the space and billing you for the cleaning service.
- Incident reports will be written for specific violations. You and your roommates may be required to go through the judicial process.
- Expect that during an inspection, if staff become aware of other types of violations of university policy, they are required to respond in standard process to the violations. This may include contacting university police and/or writing an incident report for further judicial action.
- Expect that if animals (other than what is permitted under policy) are found, they will need to be removed from the building immediately. An incident report will be completed for further judicial action and you may be billed for clean up or damage charges related to the animal.
- Expect that upon completion of the inspection, staff will lock the front door of your room/suite/apartment.
How to View Results of Inspections:
Note: Documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader.