Note: This information is for students who are moving out prior to the end of their license agreement. Details regarding regular move-out will be shared in mid-April (for 9-month license agreements) and early July (for 11.5-month license agreements).
- 9-month housing facilities close at 10 a.m. on Friday, May 12, 2023.
- 11-5 month housing facilities close at 10 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 4, 2023.
Please remember that regardless of the date you check out, you will be billed in full for the remainder of your license agreement.
Each student can be accompanied by two (2) family members or guests during move-out.
- Contact your RA/CA to schedule an early check-out inspection at least 48 hours prior to your move-out date.
- Remove all of your belongings and clean your space prior to the inspection.
During your check-out appointment, your RA/CA will inspect your space, collect your keys and check you out of your assigned space. This appointment is important because it can potentially save you from getting billed for an improper check-out. A secondary inspection will be completed by your RHC to assess any fees for trash, cleaning and damages.
Express check-out is for students who do not complete a check-out inspection with their RA/CA. By completing an express check-out, students waive their right to contest any damage charges.
- Once you have removed all of your belongings and cleaned your space, report to your community front desk to check out.
- Deposit your keys inside the check-out envelope then seal and sign it.
- Leave the envelope in the designated box at the front desk.
- Fees for cleaning and/or damage charges will be processed by your Residence Hall Coordinator after move-out.
Please clean your entire space including your bedroom, bathroom(s), kitchen and living area. This includes:
- Remove all personal belongings. Double check that your drawers and closet is empty.
- Restore your room to its initial condition at check-in, including furniture set-up.
- Take all trash and recycling to the dumpsters. Please put trash inside the dumpsters and do not leave near or around the dumpsters.
- Wipe down all surfaces including furniture and walls.
- Vacuum and sweep the floor, including under the bed.
- Leave your drawers and closet doors open in preparation for your RA/CA inspection.
- Do not remove nails, screws, or command strips from walls. These will be professionally removed to prevent further damage.
- Enter a Service Request on the Housing Portal for any outstanding maintenance or repair needs in your unit before your check-out appointment. Please note that Service Requests cannot be submitted for cleaning your unit.
Cleaning supplies and vacuums are available at your community front desk. Please do not leave any unwanted items behind in your space. Abandoned items are subject to abandonment fees of $100 or more.
Moving Shipping & Storage
A limited number of moving bins will be available for checkout at your community front desk. If you need to ship or store your personal belongings, please make arrangements with our campus partner collegeboxes.com. Create an account and enter promo code SDSU2023 for 10% savings. Cardboard boxes, tape, and other packing supplies can be purchased from The UPS Stores on campus. Portable storage containers (PODS, U-Box, etc.) are not allowed and may be towed if placed on university property.
All parking regulations are strictly enforced. Do not park in any fire lanes during move-out or at any time. If you received a garage remote for parking, please return it to your front desk or give it to your CA at checkout. Students who do not return their garage remotes will be charged a replacement fee.
Bikes & Surfboards
Don’t forget your bike and/or surfboard. If applicable, return your bike storage key to the Housing Office between 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. during weekdays and remove surfboard storage locks. Abandoned property will be removed and discarded.
Update your mailing address in my.SDSU to your permanent address. Any mail or packages delivered to The UPS Store after checkout will be returned to the sender. If you are expecting a package, contact the sender to update your permanent address.