Health & Safety Inspections
Students are responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of their rooms, suites and apartments, including bathrooms and kitchens. Health & Safety Inspections are conducted monthly in residential communities with private bathrooms and kitchens to ensure areas are up to our cleanliness, health and hygiene standards. Fees for re-inspection and cleaning will be assessed if areas do not pass inspection. Traditional residence halls with communal bathrooms and kitchens are not inspected as the communal areas are maintained and cleaned regularly by our custodian team.
What to Expect
Watch to learn what to expect for Health & Safety Inspections.
- Inspections may be conducted as often as once a month.
- The purpose of the inspection is to help maintain a safe living environment. It is not to invade privacy.
- Staff members will provide advance notification to residents by posting notices and emailing residents at least 24 hours prior to inspection.
- Residents are highly encouraged to be present, but presence is not mandatory for the inspection to be completed.
- The inspection should take no more than 5-10 minutes per room, suite or apartment.
- There will always be a minimum of two staff members entering the room, suite or apartment to conduct the inspection.
- As staff members begin inspection, they will knock on the front door. If there is no answer, they will try again. If there continues to be no response, the staff members will announce themselves and key into the room, suite or apartment in order to complete the inspection.
- Once inside, staff members will look at the listed items on the Inspection Form and for any other policy violations.
- As staff members are conducting the inspection, they are completing a plain view inspection with the exception of emergency and facility equipment/appliances that may be located behind closed doors. Staff members will be looking under or around furniture to inspect extension cords, multi-plug outlets, etc.
- If the resident is present at the time of the inspection, staff will ask if there are any facilities issues. If applicable, resident will be asked to submit a Service Request on the Housing Portal.
- The resident will receive notice via email when inspections are complete and results are available on the Housing Portal.
- Upon completion of the inspection, staff will lock the front door.
- During an inspection, if staff become aware of other types of violations of university policy, they are required to respond to the violations. This may include contacting university police and/or writing an incident report for further judicial action.
- Resident will be billed $25.00 for the follow up inspection.
- Resident will be informed when a follow up inspection will be scheduled.
- If the room, suite or apartment is found to be in violation of the cleanliness health and hygiene policy a second time, the university will take action to rectify the violation by cleaning the space and billing residents for the cleaning service.
sample inspection form
Click here to view a sample inspection form of what the inspectors will be looking for in your space.